Online Encyclopedia

CANAL DOVER

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V05, Page 171 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CANAL DOVER, a city of Tuscarawas county, Ohio, U.S.A., on the Tuscarawas river, about 70 in. S. by E. of Cleveland. Pop. (1890) 3470; (1900) 5422 (939 foreign-born); (191o) 6621. It is served by the Baltimore & Ohio and the Pennsylvania railways, and by the Ohio canal, and is connected with Cleveland by an inter-urban electric line. It lies on a plateau about 88o ft. above sea-level and commands pleasant views of diversified scenery. Coal and iron ore abound in the vicinity, and the city manufactures iron, steel, tin plate, electrical and telephone supplies, shovels, boilers, leather, flour, brick and tile, salt, furniture and several kinds of vehicles. The municipality owns and operates its water-works. Canal Dover was laid out as a town in 1807, and was incorporated as a village in 184.2, but its charter was soon allowed to lapse and was not revived until 1867. Canal Dover became a city under the Ohio municipal code of 1903.
End of Article: CANAL DOVER
[back]
CANAL (from Lat. canalis, " channel " and " kennel ...
[next]
CANALE (or CANALETTO), ANTONIO (1697-1768)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.