Online Encyclopedia

CANNANORE, or KANANORE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V05, Page 184 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CANNANORE, or KANANORE, a town of British India, in the Malabar district of Madras, on the coast, 58 m. N. from Calicut and 470 M. by rail from Madras. Pop. (Igor) 27,811. Cannanore belonged to the Kalahasti or Cherakal rajas till the invasion of Malabar by Hyder Ali. In 1498 it was visited by Vasco da Gama; in 1501 a Portuguese factory was planted here by Cabral; in 1502 da Gama made a treaty with the raja, and in 1505 a fort was built. In 1656 the Dutch effected a settlement and built the present fort, which they sold to Ali Raja in 1771. In 1783 Cannanore was captured by the British, and the reigning princess became tributary to the East India Company. Here is the residence of the Moplah chief, known as the Ali Raja, who owns most of the Laccadive Islands. Cannanore was the military headquarters of the British on the west coast until 1887.
End of Article: CANNANORE, or KANANORE
[back]
CANNAE (mod. Canne)
[next]
CANNES

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.