Online Encyclopedia

CANNSTATT, or KANNSTATT

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V05, Page 189 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CANNSTATT, or KANNSTATT, a town of Germany in the kingdom of Wurttemberg, pleasantly situated in a fertile valley on both banks of the Neckar, 21 M. from Stuttgart, with which it has been incorporated since 1904. Pop. (1905) 26,497. It is a railway centre, has two Evangelical and a Roman Catholic church, two bridges across the Neckar, handsome streets in the modern quarter of the town and fine promenades and gardens. There is a good deal of business in the town. Railway plant, automobiles and machinery are manufactured; spinning and weaving are carried on; and there are chemical works and a brewery here. Fruit and vines are largely cultivated in the neighbourhood. A large population is temporarily attracted to Cannstatt by the fame of its mineral springs, which are valuable for diseases of the throat and weaknesses of the nervous system. These springs were known to the Romans. Besides the usual bathing establishments there are several medical institutions for the treatment of disease. Near the town are the palaces of Rosenstein and Wilhelma; the latter, built (1842–1851) for King William of Wurttemberg in the Moorish style, is surrounded by beautiful gardens. In the neighbourhood also are immense caves in the limestone where numerous bones of mammoths and other extinct animals have been found. On the Rotenberg, where formerly stood the ancestral castle of the house of Wurttemberg, is the mausoleum of King William and his wife. Cannstatt (Condistat) is mentioned early in the 8th century as the place where a great court was held by Charlemagne for the trial of the rebellious dukes of the Alamanni and the Bavarians. From the emperor Louis the Bavarian it received the same rights and privileges as were enjoyed by the town of Esslingen, and until the middle of the 14th century it was the capital of the county of Wurttemberg. Cannstatt was the scene of a victory gained by the French over the Austrians on the 21st of July 1796. See Veiel, Der Kurort Kannstatt and seine Mineralquellen (Cannstatt, 1895).
End of Article: CANNSTATT, or KANNSTATT
[back]
CANNON (a word common to Romance languages, from th...
[next]
ALONZO CANO (1601–1667)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.