Online Encyclopedia

CANTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V05, Page 221 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CANTON, a city and the county-seat of Stark county, Ohio, U.S.A., on Nimisillen Creek, 6o m. S. by E. of Cleveland. Pop. (189o) 26,189; (1900) 30,667, of whom 4018 were foreign-born;. and (2910) 50,217. It is served by the Pennsylvania, the Baltimore & Ohio, and the Wheeling & Lake Erie railways, and is connected by an interurban electric system with all the important cities and towns within a radius of 5o M. It lies at an elevation of about 1030 ft. above sea-level, in a wheat-growing region, in which bituminous coal, limestone, and brick and potter's clay abound. Meyer's Lake in the vicinity is a summer attraction. The principal buildings are the post-office, court-house, city hall, an auditorium with a seating capacity of 5000, a Masonic building, an Oddfellows' temple, a Y.M.C.A. building and several handsome churches. On Monument Hill, in West Lawn Cemetery, in a park 'of 26 acres—a site which President McKinley had suggested for a monument to the soldiers and sailors of Stark county—there is a beautiful monument to the memory of McKinley, who lived in Canton. This memorial is built principally of Milford (Mass.) granite, with a bronze statue of the president, and with sarcophagi containing the bodies of the president and Mrs McKinley, and has a total height, from the first step of the approaches to its top, of 163 ft. 6 in., the mausoleum itself being 98 ft. 6 in. high and 78 ft. 9 in. in diameter; it was dedicated on the 3oth of September 1907, when an address was delivered by President Roosevelt. Another monument commemorates the American soldiers of the Spanish-American War. Among the city's manufactures are agricultural implements, iron bridges and other structural iron work, watches and watch-cases, steel, engines, safes, locks, cutlery, hardware, wagons, carriages, paving-bricks, furniture, dental and surgical chairs, paint and varnish, clay-working machinery and saw-mill machinery. The value of the factory product in 1905 was $10,591,143, being 1o.6 % more than the product value of 1900. Canton was laid out as a town in 18o5, became the county-seat in 18o8, was incorporated as a village in 1822 and in 1854 was chartered as a city.
End of Article: CANTON
[back]
CANTO (from the Lat. cantus, a song)
[next]
CANTON (borrowed from the Ital. cantone, a corner o...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.