Online Encyclopedia

GULF OF CARPENTARIA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V05, Page 384 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
GULF OF CARPENTARIA, an extensive arm of the sea deeply indenting the north coast of Australia, between 10° 40' and 17° 4o' S., and 135° 30' and 142 ° E. Its length is 48o m. and its extreme breadth (E. to W.) 420 M. It is bounded E. by Cape York Peninsula, and W. by the Northern Territory of South Australia. Near its southern extremity is situated a group of islands called Wellesley; and towards the western side are the Sir Edward Pellew Islands, the Groote Eylandt and others. A large number of rivers find their way to the gulf, and some are of considerable size. On the eastern side there is the Mitchell river; at the south-east corner the Gilbert, the Norman, the Flinders, the Leichhardt and the Gregory; and on the west the Roper river. Jan Carstensz, who undertook a voyage of discovery in this part of the globe in 1623, gave the name of Carpentier to a small river near Cape Duyfhen in honour of Pieter Carpentier, at that time governor-general of the Dutch East Indies; and after the second voyage of Abel Tasman in 1644, the gulf, which he had successfully explored, began to appear on the charts under its present designation.
End of Article: GULF OF CARPENTARIA
[back]
JEAN BAPTISTE CARPEAUX (1827-1875)
[next]
LANT CARPENTER (1780-1840)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.