Online Encyclopedia

CARPI

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V05, Page 397 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CARPI, a town and episcopal see of Emilia, Italy, in the province of Modena, 9 M. N.N.W. by rail from the town of Modena. Pop. (1905) 7118 (town), 2,7,135 (commune). It is the junction of a branch line to Reggio nell' Emilia via Correggio, and the centre of a fertile agricultural district. Carpi contains several Renaissance buildings of interest, the facade of the old cathedral (an early Romanesque building in origin, with some early 15th-century frescoes), the new cathedral (after 1513), perhaps the nave of S. Niccolo and a palace, all being by Baldassare Peruzzi: while the prince's palace. (with a good court and a chapel containing frescoes by Bernardino Loschi of Parma, 1489—1540) and the colonnades opposite the theatre are also good. ' These, and the fortifications, are all due to Alberto Pio of Carpi, a pupil of Aldus Manutius, expelled in 1525 by Charles V., the principality being given to the house of Este.
End of Article: CARPI
[back]
CARPET
[next]
GIROLAMO DA CARPI (15or-1556)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.