Online Encyclopedia

CASTELLO BRANCO

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V05, Page 472 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CASTELLO BRANCO, an episcopal city and the capital of an administrative district formerly included in the province of Beira, Portugal; 156o ft. above the sea, on the Abrantes-Guarda railway. Pop. (1900) 7288. Numerous Roman remains bear witness to the antiquity of Castello Branco, but its original name is unknown. The city is dominated by a ruined castle, and partly enclosed by ancient walls; its chief buildings are the cathedral and episcopal palace. Cloth is manufactured, and there is a flourishing local trade in cork, wine and olive oil. The administrative district of Castello Branco, which comprises the valleys of the Zezere, Ocreza and Ponsul, right-hand tributaries of the Tagus, coincides with the south-eastern part of Beira; pop. (1900) 216,6o8; area, 2582 sq. m.
End of Article: CASTELLO BRANCO
[back]
IGNAZ FRANZ CASTELLI (1781—1862)
[next]
VISCONDE DE CORREIA BOTELHO CAMILLO CASTELLO BRANCO...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.