Online Encyclopedia

CAUB, or KAUB

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V05, Page 546 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CAUB, or KAUB, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Hesse-Nassau, on the right bank of the Rhine, 28 M. N.W. from Wiesbaden, on the railway from Frankfort-on-Main to Cologne. Pop. 2200. It has a Roman Catholic and an Evangelical church, and a statue of Blucher. The trade mainly consists of the wines of the district. On a crag above the town stands the II members. v. I8 imposing ruin of Gutenfels, and facing it, on a rock in the middle of the Rhine, the small castle Pfalz, or Pfalzgrafenstein, where, according to legend, the Palatine countesses awaited their confinement, but which in reality .served as a toll-gate for merchandise on the Rhine. Caub, first mentioned in the year 983, originally belonged to the lords of Falkenstein, passed in 1277 to the Rhenish Palatinate, and attained civic rights in 1324. Here Blucher crossed the Rhine with the Prussian and Russian armies, on New Year's night 1813-1814, in pursuit of the French.
End of Article: CAUB, or KAUB
[back]
CATULUS
[next]
CAUCA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.