Online Encyclopedia

CAULON (Gr. KavXo,via)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V05, Page 557 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CAULON (Gr. KavXo,via),•a town of the district of the Bruttii, Italy, on the east coast. Its exact site is uncertain (though the name has been given to a modern village), and depends on the identification of the river Sagras. It was the southernmost of the Achaean colonies, founded either by Croton or direct from Greece itself. In the 7th century it was allied with Croton and Sybaris, and its coins, which go back to 550 B.C., prove its importance. It took the side of Athens in the Peloponnesian War. In 388 B.C. it was destroyed by Dionysius, but soon after-wards restored. It was captured during the invasion of Pyrrhus by Campanian troops. Strabo speaks of it as deserted in his time. The erection of the lighthouse at Capo Stilo, on the site of one of the medieval guard towers of the coast, led to the discovery of a wall of Greek origin, and close by of a number of terra-cottas, belonging perhaps to a temple erected in honour of the deities of the sea. Other remains were found at Fontanelle, 21 111. away, including the fragment of a capital of an archaic Greek temple (P. Orsi in Nolizie degli Scavi, 1891, 61). These buildings may be connected with the Caulon or a village dependent on it. (T. As.)
End of Article: CAULON (Gr. KavXo,via)
[back]
CAULICULUS (from Lat. caulis, a stalk)
[next]
CAUSATION

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.