Online Encyclopedia

CAVA DEI TIRRENI

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V05, Page 560 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CAVA DEI TIRRENI, a town and episcopal see of Campania, Italy, in the province of Salerno, 6 m. N.W. by rail from the town of Salerno. Pop. (1901) town, 7611; commune, 23,415. It lies fairly high in a richly cultivated valley, surrounded by wooded hills, and is a favourite resort of foreigners in spring and autumn, and of the Neapolitans in summer. A mile to the south-west is the village of Corpo di Cava (1970 ft.), with the Benedictine abbey of La Trinity della Cava, founded in 1025 by St Alferius. The church and the greater part of the buildings were entirely modernized in 1796. The old Gothic cloisters are preserved. The church contains a fine organ and several ancient sarcophagi. The archives, now national property, include documents and MSS. of great value (e.g. the Codex Legum Longobardorum of 1004) and fine incunabula. The abbot is keeper, and also head of a boarding school. See M. Morcaldi, Codex Diplomaticus Cavensis (Naples and Milan, 1873-1893).
End of Article: CAVA DEI TIRRENI
[back]
CAUVERY, or KAVERI
[next]
CAVAEDIUM

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.