Online Encyclopedia

CEVA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V05, Page 777 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CEVA, a town of Piedmont, Italy, in the province of Cuneo, 33 M. E. by rail from the town of Cuneo, 1270 ft. above sea-level. Pop. (1901) 2703. In the middle ages it was a strong fortress defending the confines of Piedmont towards Liguria, but the fortifications on the rock above the town were demolished in x800 by the French, to whom it had been ceded in 1796. Its cheese (caseus cebanus) was famous in Roman times, but it does not seem ever to have been a Roman town. It lay on the road between Augusta Taurinorum and Vada Sabatia. A branch railway runs from Ceva through Garessio, with its marble quarries, to Ormea (2398 ft.), 22 M. to the south through the upper valley of the Tanaro, which in Roman times was under Albingaunum (Th. Mommsen in Corp. Incr. Lat. v. (Berlin, 1877), p. 898). From Ormea a road runs south to (31 m.) Oneglia on the Ligurian coast.
End of Article: CEVA
[back]
CEUTA (Arabic Sebta)
[next]
CEVENNES (Lat. Cebenna or Gebenna)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.