Online Encyclopedia

CHAPRA, or CHUPRA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V05, Page 854 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CHAPRA, or CHUPRA, a town of British India, the administrative headquarters of Saran district in Bengal, near the left bank of the river Gogra, just above its confluence with the Ganges; with a railway station on the Bengal & North-Western line towards Oudh. Pop. (1901) 45,901, showing a decrease of 21% in the decade. There are a government high school, a German Lutheran mission, and a public library endowed by a former maharaja of Hatwa. Chapra is the centre of trade in indigo and saltpetre, and conducts a large business by water as well as by rail.
End of Article: CHAPRA, or CHUPRA
[back]
WILLIAM CHAPPELL (1809–1888)
[next]
COMTE DE JEAN ANTOINE CLAUDE CHAPTAL

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.