Online Encyclopedia

CHAUVIGNY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V06, Page 19 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CHAUVIGNY, a town of western France, in the department of Vienne, 20 M. E. of Poitiers by rail. Pop. (Icon) 2326. The town is finely situated overlooking the Vienne and a small torrent, and has two interesting Romanesque churches, both restored in modern times. There are also ruins of a chateau of the bishops of Poitiers, and of other strongholds. Near Chauvigny is the curious bone-cavern of Jioux, the entrance to which is fortified by large blocks of stone. The town carries on lime-burning and plaster-manufacture, and there are stone quarries in the vicinity. Trade is in wool and feathers.
End of Article: CHAUVIGNY
[back]
MARQUIS DE BERNARD FRANCOIS CHAUVELIN (1766-1832)
[next]
ETIENNE CHAUVIN (1640-1725)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.