Online Encyclopedia

CHEADLE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V06, Page 20 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CHEADLE, a market town in the Leek parliamentary division of Staffordshire, England, 13 M. N.E. of Stafford, and the terminus of a branch line from Cresswell on the North Staffordshire railway. Pop. (1901) 5186. The Roman Catholic church of St Giles, with a lofty spire, was designed by Pugin and erected in 1846. The interior is lavishly decorated. There are considerable collieries in the neighbourhood, and silk and tape works in the town. In the neighbouring Froghall district limestone is quarried, and there are manufactures of copper. In Cheadle two fairs of ancient origin are held annually.
End of Article: CHEADLE
[back]
JEAN MATHIEU DE CHAZELLES (1657-171o)
[next]
CHEATING

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.