Online Encyclopedia

CHERKASY (Polish, Czerkasy)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V06, Page 83 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CHERKASY (Polish, Czerkasy), a town of Russia, in the government of Kiev, 96 m. S.E. of Kiev, on the right bank of the Dnieper. Pop. (1883) 15,740; (1897) 26,619. The inhabitants (Little Russians) are mostly employed in agriculture and gardening; but sugar and tobacco are manufactured and spirits distilled. Cherkasy was an important town of the Ukraine in the 15th century, and remained so, under Polish rule, until the revolt of the Cossack hetman Chmielnicki (1648). It was annexed by Russia in 1795.
End of Article: CHERKASY (Polish, Czerkasy)
[back]
CHERIBON
[next]
CHERNIGOV

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.