Online Encyclopedia

CHERSO

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V06, Page 86 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CHERSO, an island in the Adriatic Sea, off the east coast of Istria, from which it is separated by the channel of Farasina. Pop. (1900) 8274. It is situated in the Gulf of Quarnero, and is connected with the island of Lussin, lying on the S.W. by a turn bridge over the small channel of Ossero, and with the island of Veglia, lying on the E. by the Canale di Mezzo. These three are the principal islands of the Quarnero group, and form together the administrative district of Lussin in the Austrian crownland of Istria. Cherso is an elongated island about 40 M. long, 14 to 7 M. wide, and has an area of 150 sq. m. It is traversed by a range of mountains, which attain in the peak of Syss an altitude of 2090 ft. and form natural terraces, planted with vines and olive trees, specially in . the middle and southern parts of the island. The northern part is covered with bushes of laurel and mastic, but there are scarcely any large trees. There is a scarcity of springs, and the houses are generally furnished with cisterns for rain water. In the centre of the island is an interesting lake called the Vrana or Crow's Lake, situated at an altitude of 40 ft. above, the level of the sea, 31 M. long, 1 in, wide and 184 ft. deep. This lake is in all probability fed by subterranean sources.. The chief town of the island is Cherso, situated on the west coast. It possesses a good harbour and . is provided with a shipwright's wharf.
End of Article: CHERSO
[back]
CHERSIPHRON
[next]
CHERSONESUS CHERSONESE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.