Online Encyclopedia

CHIVASSO

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V06, Page 253 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CHIVASSO, a town and episcopal see of Piedmont, Italy, in the province of Turin, 18 m. N.E. by rail from the town of Turin, 600 ft. above sea-level. Pop. (1901) 4169 (town), 9804 (commune). It is situated on the left bank of the Po, near the influx of the Orco. The cathedral is of the 15th century with a fine facade ornamented with statues in terra-cotta. It was an important fortress in the middle ages, and until 1804, when the French dismantled it. One tower only of the old castle of the marquesses of 114onferrato, who possessed the town from 1164 to 1435, remains. Chivasso is on the main line from Turin to Milan, and is the junction of branches for Aosta and Casale Monferrato.
End of Article: CHIVASSO
[back]
CHIVALRY (O. Fr. chevalerie, from Late Lat. caballe...
[next]
CHIVE (Allium Schoenoprasum)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.