Online Encyclopedia

CHRISTIANSAND (KRISTIANSUND)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V06, Page 291 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CHRISTIANSAND (KRISTIANSUND), a seaport on the west coast of Norway, in Romsdal amt (county), 259 M. N.E. by N. of Bergen, in the latitude of the Faeroe Islands. Pop. (1901) 11,982. It is built on four small islands, by which its harbour is enclosed. The chief exports are wood, cod, herrings and fish products, and butter to Great Britain. The town is served by the principal steamers between the south Norwegian ports, Hull, Hamburg, &c., and Trondhjem, and it is the chief port of the district of Nordmore. Local steamers serve the neighbouring fjords, including the Sundalsfjord, from which at Sundalsoren a driving road past the fine Dovrefjeld connects with the Gudbrandsdal route. Till 1i42, when it received town privileges from Christian VI., Christiansund was called Lille-Fosen.
End of Article: CHRISTIANSAND (KRISTIANSUND)
[back]
CHRISTIANITY
[next]
RICHARD COPLEY CHRISTIE (183o–Igor)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.