Online Encyclopedia

CLAIRVAUX

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V06, Page 418 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CLAIRVAUX, a village of north-eastern France, in the department of Aube, 40 M. E.S.E. of Troyes on the Eastern railway to Belfort. Clairvaux (Clara Vallis) is situated in the valley of the Aube on the eastern border of the Forest of Clairvaux. Its, celebrity is due to the abbey founded in 1115 by St Bernard, which became the centre of the Cistercian order. The buildings (see ABBEY) belong for the most part to the 18th century, but there is a large storehouse which dates from the 12th century. The abbey, suppressed at the Revolution, now serves as a prison, containing on an average 800 inmates, who are employed in agricultural and industrial occupations. Clairvaux has iron-works of some importance.
End of Article: CLAIRVAUX
[back]
LA CLAIRON (1723-1803)
[next]
CLAIRVOYANCE (Fr. for " clear-seeing ")

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.