Online Encyclopedia

CLASTIDIUM (mod. Casteggio)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V06, Page 462 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CLASTIDIUM (mod. Casteggio), a village of the Anamares, in Gallia Cispadana, on the Via Postumia, 5 M. E. of Iria (mod. Voghera) and 31 M. W. of Placentia. Here in 222 B.C. M. Claudius Marcellus defeated the Gauls and won the spolia opima; in 218 Hannibal took it and its stores of corn by treachery. It never had an independent government, and not later than 190 B.C. was made part of the colony of Placentia (founded 219). In the Augustan division of Italy, however, Placentia belonged to the 8th region, Aemilia, whereas Iria certainly, and Clastidium possibly, belonged to the 9th, Liguria (see Th. Mommsen in Corp. Inscrip. Lat. vol. v. Berlin, 1877, p. 828). The remains visible at Clastidium are scanty; there is a fountain (the Fontana d'Annibale), and a Roman bridge, which seems ,to have been constructed of tiles, not of stone, was discovered in 1857, but destroyed. See C. Giulietti, Casteggio, notizie storiche II. Avanzi di antichitd (Voghera, 1893).
End of Article: CLASTIDIUM (mod. Casteggio)
[back]
CLASSIFICATION OF THE
[next]
JOHANN CLAUBERG (1622-1665)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.