Online Encyclopedia

CLEBURNE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V06, Page 478 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CLEBURNE, a town and the county-seat of Johnson county, Texas, U.S.A., 25 M. S. of Fort Worth. Pop. (1890) 3278; (1900) 7493, including 611 negroes; (1oro) 10,364. It is served by the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe, the Missouri, Kansas & Texas, and the Trinity & Brazos Valley railways. It is the centre of a prosperous farming, fruit and stock-raising region, has large railway repair shops, flour-mills, cotton gins and foundries, a canning factory and machine shops. It has a Carnegie library, and St Joseph's Academy (Roman Catholic; for girls). The town was named in honour of Patrick Ronayne Cleburne (1828-1864), a major-general of the Confederate army, who was of Irish birth, practised law in Helena, Arkansas, served at Shiloh, Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Ring-gold Gap, Jonesboro and Franklin, and was killed in the last-named battle; he was called the " Stonewall of the West."
End of Article: CLEBURNE
[back]
CLEAVERS
[next]
CLECKHEATON

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.