Online Encyclopedia

COLNE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V06, Page 696 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
COLNE, a market town and municipal borough in the Clitheroe parliamentary division of Lancashire, England, 341 M. N. by E. from Manchester by the Lancashire & Yorkshire railway; it is served also by a branch of the Midland railway from Skipton. Pop. (1901) 23,000. It stands on a hilly site above a small affluent of the river Calder. The church of St Bartholomew retains some Norman work, but is chiefly of various later periods. There is a cloth hall or piece hall, originally used as an exchange when woollens were the staple of the town. The grammar school isof interest as the place where John Tillotson (163o-1694), archbishop of Canterbury, received early education. Colne is a place of great antiquity, and many Roman coins have been found on the site. As early as the ,4th century it was the seat of a woollen manufacture; but its principal manufactures now are cottons, printed calicoes and muslin. In the neighbour-hood are several limestone and slate quarries. The town was incorporated in 1895, and the corporation consists of a mayor, 6 aldermen and 18 councillors. Area, 5063 acres.
End of Article: COLNE
[back]
COLMAR, or KOLMAR
[next]
COLOQUINTIDA COLOCYNTH

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.