Online Encyclopedia

CONCEPCION

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V06, Page 824 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CONCEPCION, a city of southern Chile, capital of a province and department of the same name, on the right bank of the Bio-Bio river, 7 M. above its mouth, and 355 M. S. S.W. of Santiago by rail. Pop. (1895) 39,837; (1902, estimated) 49,351. It is the commercial centre of a rich agricultural region, but because of obstructions at the mouth of the Bio-Bio its trade passes in great part through the port of Talcahuano, 8 m. distant by rail. The small port of Penco, situated on the same bay and 10 m. distant by rail, also receives a part of the trade because of official restrictions at Talcahuano. Concepcion is one of the southern termini of the Chilean central railway, by which it is connected with Santiago to the N., with Valdivia and Puerto Montt to the S., and with the port of Talcahuano. Another line extends southward through the Chilean. coal-producing districts to Curanilhue, crossing the Bio-Bio by a steel viaduct 6000 ft. long on 62 skeleton piers; and a short line of 10 m. runs northward to Penco. The Bio-Bio is navigable above the city for too m. and considerable traffic comes through this channel. The districts tributary to Concepcion produce wheat, wine, wool, cattle, coal and timber, and among the industrial establishments of the city are flour mills, furniture and carriage factories, distilleries and breweries. The city is built on a level plain but little above the sea-level; and is laid out in regular squares with broad streets. It is an episcopal see with a cathedral and several fine churches, and is the seat of a court of appeal. The city was founded by Pedro de Valdivia in 1550, and received the singular title of " La Concepcion del Nuevo Extremo.'" It was located on the bay of Talcahuano where the town of Penco now stands, about 9 M. from its present site, but was destroyed by earthquakes in 1570, 1730 and 1751, and was then (1755) re-moved to the margin of the Bio-Bio. In 1835 it was again laid in ruins, a graphic description of which is given by Charles Darwin in The Voyage of H.M.S. Beagle. The city was twice burned by the Araucanians during their long struggle against the Spanish colonists.
End of Article: CONCEPCION
[back]
CONCAVE
[next]
CONCEPCION, or VILLA CONCEPCION

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.