Online Encyclopedia

CONDOM

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V06, Page 852 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CONDOM, a town of south-western France, capital of an arrondissement in the department of Gus, on the right bank of the Raise, at its junction with the Gele, 27 M. by road N.N.W. of Auch. Pop. (rgo6) town, 4046; commune, 6433. Two stone bridges unite Condom with its suburb on the left bank of the river. The streets are small and narrow and several old houses still remain, but to the east the town is bordered by pleasant promenades. The Gothic church of St Pierre, its chief building, was erected from 15o6 to 1521, and was till 1790 a cathedral. The. interior, which is without aisles or transept, is surrounded by lateral chapels. On the south is a beautifully sculptured portal. An adjoining cloister of the 16th century is occupied by the hotel de vine. The former episcopal palace with its graceful Gothic chapel is used as a law-court. The sub-prefecture, a tribunal of first instance, and a communal college, are among the public institutions. Brandy-distilling, wood-sawing, iron-founding and the manufacture of stills are among the industries. The town is a centre for the sale of Armagnac brandy and has commerce in grain and flour, much of which is river-borne. Condom (Condomus) was founded in the 8th century, but in 84o was sacked and burnt by the Normans. A monastery built here c. goo by the wife of Sancho of Gascony was soon destroyed by fire, but in toll was rebuilt,byHugh, bishop of Agen. Round this abbey the town grew up, and in 1317 was made into an episcopal see by Pope John XXII, The line of bishops, which included Bossuet (1668-1671), came to an end in 1790 when the see was suppressed. Condom was, during the middle ages, a fortress of considerable strength. During the Hundred Years' War, after several unsuccessful attempts, it was finally captured and held by the English. In 1569 it was sacked by the Huguenots under Gabriel, count of Montgomery. A list of monographs, &c., on the abbey, see and town of Condom is given s.v. in U. Chevalier, Repertoire des sources. Topobibliogr. (Montbeliard, 1894-1899).
End of Article: CONDOM
[back]
CONDITIONAL LIMITATION
[next]
CONDOR (Sarcorhamphus gryphus)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.