Online Encyclopedia

CORYDON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V07, Page 212 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CORYDON, a town and the county-seat of Harrison county, Indiana, U.S.A., on Indian Creek, about 21 M. W. by S. of Louisville, Kentucky. Pop. (1900) 161o; (191o) 1703. Corydon is served by the Louisville, New Albany & Corydon railway, which connects at Corydon Junction, 8 m. N., with the Southern railway. There are sulphur springs here, and the town is a summer and health resort. Wyandotte Cave is several miles W. of Corydon. Corydon is in an agricultural region, and there are valuable quarries in the neighbourhood; among the town's manufactures are waggons, and building and lithographic stone. Corydon was settled about 1805, and was the capital of Indiana Territory from 1813 to 1816, and of the state until 1824. The convention which framed the first state constitution met here in June 1816. The original state house, an unpretentious two-storey stone building, is still standing. Corydon was captured by the Confederates during Gen. Morgan's raid on the 9th of July 1863.
End of Article: CORYDON
[back]
CORYBANTES (Gr. Kopb(3avrer)
[next]
CORYPHAEUS (from Gr. Kopvil, the top of the head)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.