Online Encyclopedia

COSEL

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V07, Page 213 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
COSEL, or KosEL, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Silesia, at the junction of the Klodnitz' and the Oder, 29 M. S.E. of Oppeln by rail. Pop. (1905) 7085. It has an Evangelical and a Roman Catholic church, an old chateau and a grammar-school (Progymnasium). Its industries are of some importance, including a manufactory of cellulose (employing 1200 hands), steam saw- and flour-mills and a petroleum refinery. There is a lively trade by river. The first record of Cosel dates from 1286. From 1306 to 1359 it was the seat of an independent duchy held by a cadet line of the dukes of Teschen. In 1532 it fell to the emperor, was several times besieged during the Thirty Years' War, and came into Prussian possession by the treaty of Breslau in 1942. Frederick IL converted it into a fortress, which was besieged in vain by the Austrians in 1758, 1759, 1760 and 1762. In 1807 it withstood another siege, by the Bavarian allies of Napoleon. The fortifications were razed and their site converted into promenades in 1894.
End of Article: COSEL
[back]
COSA
[next]
ENRICO COSENZ (1812–1898)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.