Online Encyclopedia

COSHOCTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V07, Page 213 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
COSHOCTON, a city and the county-seat of Coshocton county, Ohio, U.S.A., at the confluence of the Tuscarawas and the Walhonding rivers, with the Muskingum river, and about 70 M. E.N.E. of Columbus. Pop. (1890) 3672; (1900) 6473 (364 foreign- born); (1910) 9603. It is served by the Pennsylvania, the Pitts- burg, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis (controlled by the Pennsylvania), and the Wheeling & Lake Erie railways. The city is built on a series of four broad terraces, the upper one of which has an elevation of 824 ft. above sea-level, and commands pleasant views of the river and the valley. It has a public library. Coshocton is the commercial centre of an extensive agricultural district and has manufactories of paper, glass, flour, china-ware, cast-iron pipes and especially of advertising specialities. The municipality owns and operates its water-works. Coshocton occupies the site of a former Indian village of the same name—the chief village of the Turtle tribe of the Delawares. This village was destroyed by the whites in 1781. The first settlement by whites was begun in 1801; and in 1802 the place was laid out as a town and named Tuscarawas. In 1811, when it was made the county-seat, the present name was adopted. Coshocton was first incorporated in 1833.
End of Article: COSHOCTON
[back]
COSENZA (anc. Consentia)
[next]
JOHN COSIN (1594–1672)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.