Online Encyclopedia

COTRONE (anc. Croto, Crotona)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V07, Page 250 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
COTRONE (anc. Croto, Crotona) , a seaport and episcopal see on the E. coast of Calabria, Italy, in the province of Catanzaro, 37 m. E.N.E. of Catanzaro Marina by rail, 143 ft. above sea-level. Pop. (1901) town, 7917; commune, 9545. It has a castle erected by the emperor Charles V. and a small harbour, which even, in ancient times was not good, but important as the only one between Taranto and Reggio. It exports a considerable quantity of oranges, olives and liquorice.
End of Article: COTRONE (anc. Croto, Crotona)
[back]
COTOPAXI
[next]
COTTA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.