Online Encyclopedia

COULISSE (French for " groove," from ...

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V07, Page 308 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: it!
COULISSE (French for " groove," from couler, to slide), a term for a groove in which a gate of a sluice, or the side-scenes in a theatre, slide up and down, hence applied to the space on the stage between the wings, and generally to that part of the theatre " behind the scenes " and out of view of the public. It is also a term of the Paris Bourse, derived from a coulisse, or passage in which transactions were carried on without the authorized agents de change. The name coulissier was thus given to unauthorized agents de change, or " outside brokers " who, after many attempts at suppression, were finally given a recognized status in 1901. They bring business to the agents de change, and act as intermediaries between them and other parties. (See STOCK EXCHANGE: Paris.)
End of Article: COULISSE (French for " groove," from couler, to slide)
ELLIOTT COUES (1842—1899)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.