Online Encyclopedia

COVENT GARDEN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V07, Page 340 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
COVENT GARDEN, formerly an open space north of the Strand, London, England, now occupied by the principal flower, fruit and vegetable market in the metropolis. This was originally the so-called " convent garden " belonging to the abbey of St Peter, Westminster. In the first half of the 17th century the site of the garden was laid out as a square by Inigo Jones, with a piazza 'on two sides; and as early as 1656 it was becoming a market place for the same commodities as are now sold in it. Covent Garden Theatre (1858) is the chief seat of grand opera in London. The site has carried a theatre since 1733, but earlier buildings were burnt in 1809 and 1856.
End of Article: COVENT GARDEN
[back]
COVENANTERS
[next]
SIR JOHN COVENTRY (d. 1682)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.