Online Encyclopedia

COVILHA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V07, Page 344 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
COVILHA, a town of Portugal, in the district of Castello Brahco, formerly included in the province of Beira; on the eastern slope of the Serra da Estrella, and on the Abrantes-Guarda railway. Pop. (1900) 15,469. Covilha, which has been often compared with a collection of swallows' nests clinging to the rugged granitic mountain side, is shaped like an amphitheatre of closely crowded houses, overlooking the river Zezere and its wild valley from a height of 218o ft. Over 4000 operatives are employed in the manufacture of saragoca, a coarse brown cloth worn by the peasantry throughout Portugal. The village of Unhaes da Serra (1507), 6 m. W.S.W., is noted for its sulphurous springs and baths.
End of Article: COVILHA
[back]
COVERTURE (a covering, an old French form of the mo...
[next]
COVILHAM (COVILHAO, COVIIIIX), PERO

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.