Online Encyclopedia

CRAILSHEIM, or KRAILSHEIM

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V07, Page 362 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CRAILSHEIM, or KRAILSHEIM, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Wurttemberg, on the Jagst, a tributary of the Neckar, at the junction of railways to Heilbronn and Furth. Pop. (1900) 5251. There are two Evangelical churches and a Roman Catholic church, and a handsome town hall, with a tower 225 ft. high. The industrial establishments include extensive tanneries and machine workshops, and there is a brisk trade in cattle and agricultural produce. Crailsheim was incorporated as a town in 1338, successfully withstood a siege by the forces of several Swabian imperial cities (1379-1380), a feat which is annually celebrated, passed later into the possession of the burgraves of Nuremberg, and came in 1791 to Prussia, in 1806 to Bavaria and 1810 to Wurttemberg.
End of Article: CRAILSHEIM, or KRAILSHEIM
[back]
GEORGE LILLIE CRAIK (1798-1866)
[next]
CRAIOVA, or KRAJOVA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.