Online Encyclopedia

CROMARTY FIRTH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V07, Page 483 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CROMARTY FIRTH, an arm of the North Sea, belonging to the county of Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. From the Moray Firth it extends inland in a westerly and then south-westerly direction for a distance of 19 M. Excepting at the Bay of Nigg, on the northern shore, and Cromarty Bay, on the southern, where it is about 5 M. wide (due N. and S.), and at Alness Bay, where it is 2 M. wide, it has an average width of 1 m. and a depth varying from 5 to 10 fathoms, forming one of the safest and most commodious anchorages in the north of Scotland. Besides other streams it receives the Conon, Peffery, Skiack and Alness, and the principal places on its shores are Dingwall near the head, Cromarty near the mouth, Kiltearn, Invergordon and Kilmuir on the north. The entrance is guarded by two precipitous rocks—the one on the north 400 ft., that on the south 463 ft. high—called the Sutors from a fancied resemblance to a couple of shoe-makers (Scotice, souter), bending over their lasts. .There areferries at Cromarty, Invergordon and Dingwall.
End of Article: CROMARTY FIRTH
[back]
CROMARTY
[next]
1ST EARL OF GEORGE MACKENZIE CROMARTY (1630-1714)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.