Online Encyclopedia

CROMER

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V07, Page 485 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CROMER, a watering-place in the northern parliamentary division of Norfolk, England, 139 M. N.E. by N. from London by the Great Eastern railway; served also by the Midland and Great Northern joint line. Pop. of urban district (1901) 3781. Standing on cliffs of considerable elevation, the town has repeatedly suffered from ravages of the sea. A wall and esplanade extend along the bottom of the cliffs, and there is a fine stretch of sandy beach. There is also a short pier. The church of St Peter and St Paul is Perpendicular (largely restored) with a lofty tower. On a site of three acres stands the convalescent home of the Norfolk and Norwich hospital. There is an excellent golf course. The herring, cod, lobster and crab fisheries are prosecuted. The village of Sheringham (pop. of urban district, 2359), lying to the west, is also frequented by visitors. A so-called Roman camp, on an elevation overlooking the sea, is actually a modern beacon.
End of Article: CROMER
[back]
JOHN CROME (1769-1821)
[next]
1ST EARL EVELYN BARING CROMER (1841– )

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.