Online Encyclopedia

CUEVAS DE VERA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V07, Page 613 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CUEVAS DE VERA, a town of south-eastern Spain, in the province of Almeria; on the right bank of the river Almanzora, 8 m. W. of the Mediterranean Sea. Pop. (1900) 20,562. Cuevas de Vera is built at the eastern extremity of the Sierra de los Filabres (6823 ft.), which isolate it from the railway system of Almeria. It is, however, the chief market for the rich agricultural districts towards the south and for the argentiferous lead and. other mines among the mountains. In appearance it is modern, with wide streets, two fine squares, and a parish church in Doric style, dating from 1758. But in reality the town is of considerable antiquity. One of the towers in the Moorish palace owned by the marquesses of Villafranca is probably of Roman origin.
End of Article: CUEVAS DE VERA
[back]
CUESTA
[next]
CUFF

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.