Online Encyclopedia

CULLINAN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V07, Page 617 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CULLINAN, a town of the Transvaal, 36 m. by rail E. by N. of Pretoria. It grew up round the Premier diamond mine and dates from 1903, being named after T. Cullinan, the purchaser of the ground on which the mine is situated. Here was discovered in January 1905 a diamond—the largest on record—weighing 30254 carats. This diamond was in 1907 presented by the Transvaal government to Edward VII. and was subsequently cut into two stones, one of 5162 carats, the other of 309 carats, intended to ornament the sceptre and crown of England. The chippings " yielded several smaller diamonds (see DIAMOND).
End of Article: CULLINAN
[back]
CULLERA
[next]
CULLODEN

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.