Online Encyclopedia

CURES

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V07, Page 637 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CURES, a Sabine town between the left bank of the Tiber and the Via Salaria, about 26 m. from Rome. According to the legend, it was from Cures that Titus Tatius led to the Quirihal the Sabine settlers, from whom, after their union with the settlers on the Palatine, the whole Roman people took the name Quirites. It was also renowned as the birthplace of Numa, and its importance among the Sabines at an early period is indicated by the fact that its territory is often called simply ager Sabinus. At the beginning of the imperial period it is spoken of as an unimportant place, but seems to have risen to greater prosperity in the 2nd century. It appears as the seat of a bishop in the 5th century, but seems to have been destroyed by the Lombards in A.D. 589. The site consists of a hill with two summits, round the base of which runs the Fosso Corese: the western, summit was occupied by the necropolis, the eastern by the citadel, and the lower ground between the two by the city itself. A temple, the forum, the baths, &c., were excavated in 1874—1877. See T. Ashby in Papers of the British School at Rome, iii. 34. (T. As.)
End of Article: CURES
[back]
VICOMTE DE FRANCOIS CUREL (1854- )
[next]
CURETES (Gr. Kobprjres and KovA-res)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.