Online Encyclopedia

CUSTRIN, or KUSTRIN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V07, Page 669 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CUSTRIN, or KUSTRIN, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Prussia, a fortress of the first rank, at the confluence of the Oder and Warthe, 18 m. N.E. from Frankfort-on-Oder and 51 M. N.E. of Berlin by rail. Pop. (1900) 16,473 (including the garrison). It consists of the town proper within the strong fortifications, a suburb on the left bank of the Oder, and one on the right bank of the Warthe. There are three Evangelical churches and one Roman Catholic, and a handsome town hall. There are bridges over both rivers. Custrin has some manufactories of potato-meal, machinery, pianos, furniture, cigars, &c., and there is a considerable river trade. About 1250 a town was erected on the site of Custrin, where a fishing village originally stood. From 1535 till 1571 it was the residence of John, margrave of Brandenburg-Custrin, who died without male heirs in 1571. Custrin was the prison of Frederick the Great when crown-prince, and the scene of the execution of his friend Hans Hermann von Katte on the 6th of November 1730.
End of Article: CUSTRIN, or KUSTRIN
[back]
CUSTOZZA
[next]
GULF OF CUTCH

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.