Online Encyclopedia

CYMA (Gr. Kvaa, wave)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V07, Page 690 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: it!
CYMA (Gr. Kvaa, wave), in architecture, a moulding of double curvature, concave at one end, convex at the other. When the concave part is uppermost, it is called a cyma recta; but if the convex portion is at the top, it is called a cyma reversa. When the crowning moulding of an entablature is of the cyma form, it is called a " cymatium."
End of Article: CYMA (Gr. Kvaa, wave)
CYLLENE (mod. Ziria)
CYMBALS (Fr. cymbales; Ger. Becken; Ital. piatti or...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.