Online Encyclopedia

DALKEY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V07, Page 768 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
DALKEY, a small port and watering-place of Co. Dublin, Ireland, in the south parliamentary division; 9 M. S.E. of Dublin by the Dublin & South-Eastern railway. Pop. of urban district (19o1), 3398. It is pleasantly situated on and about Sorrento Point, the southern horn of Dublin Bay. Dalkey Island, lying off the town, has an ancient ruined chapel, of the history of which nothing is certainly known, and a disused battery, which protected the harbour, a landing-place of some former importance. A castle in the town, of the 15th century, is restored to use as offices for the urban district council. There are also ruins of an old church, the dedication of which, like the island chapel, is ascribed to one St Begnet, perhaps a diminutive form of Bega, but the identity is not clear. Until the close of the 18th century Dalkey was notorious for the burlesque election of a " king," a mock ceremony which became invested with a certain political importance.
End of Article: DALKEY
[back]
DALKEITH
[next]
DALLAS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.