Online Encyclopedia

DAN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V07, Page 791 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
DAN, a town of ancient Israel, near the head-waters of the Jordan, inhabited before its conquest by the Danites by a peaceful commercial population who called their city Laish or Leshem (Josh. xix. 47, Judg. xviii.). It appears to have been even at this early period a sacred city, the shrine of Micah being removed hither, and it was chosen by Jeroboam as the site of one of his calf-shrines. It makes the north limit of Palestine in the proverbial expression " from Dan to Beersheba." The town was plundered by Benhadad of Damascus, and appears from that time to have gradually declined. Its site is sought in the mound called Tell-el-Kadi, " the hill of the judge " (Dan=" judge " in Hebrew), though weighty authorities incline to place it 4 M. east of this, at Banias, the old Caesarea Philippi. (See above.)
End of Article: DAN
[back]
WILLIAM DAMPIER (1652-1715)
[next]
CHARLES ANDERSON DANA (1819–'897)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.