Online Encyclopedia

DEREHAM (properly EAST DEREHAM)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V08, Page 73 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
DEREHAM (properly EAST DEREHAM), a market town in the Mid parliamentary division of Norfolk, England, 122 M. N.N.E. from London by the Great Eastern railway. Pop. of urban district (19o1) 5545. The church of St Nicholas is a cruciform Perpendicular structure with a beautiful central tower, and some portions of earlier date. It contains a monument to William Cowper, who came to live here in 1796, and the Congregational chapel stands on the site of the house where the poet spent his last days. Derhham is an important agricultural centre with works for the manufacture of agricultural implements, iron foundries and a malting industry.
End of Article: DEREHAM (properly EAST DEREHAM)
[back]
DERBYSHIRE
[next]
DERELICT (from Lat. derelinquere, to forsake)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.