Online Encyclopedia

PIERRE JEAN EDOUARD DESOR (1811-1882)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V08, Page 101 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PIERRE JEAN EDOUARD DESOR (1811-1882), Swiss geologist, was born at Friedrichsdorf, near Frankfort-on-Main, on .the 13th of February 1811. Associated in early years with Agassiz he studied palaeontology and glacial phenomena, and in company with J. D. Forbes ascended the Jungfrau in 1841. Desor afterwards became professor of geology in the academy at Neuchatel, continued his studies on the structure of glaciers, but gave special attention to the study of Jurassic Echinoderms. He also investigated the old lake-habitations of Switzerland, and made important observations on the physical features of the Sahara. Having inherited considerable property he retired to Combe Varin in Val Travers. He died at Nizza on the 23rd of February 1882. His chief publications were: Synopsis des Echinides fossiles (1858), Aus Sahara (1865), Der Gebirgsbau der Alpen (1865), Die Pfahlbauten des Neuenburger Sees (1866), Echinologie helvetique (2 vols., 1868-1873, with P. de Loriol). DE SOTO, a city of Jefferson county, Missouri, U.S.A., on Joachim Creek, 42 M. S.S.W. of St Louis. Pop. (189o) 3960; (1900) 5611 (332 being foreign-born and 364 negroes); (1910) 4721. It is served by the St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern railway, which has extensive repair shops here. About 22 in. from De Soto is the Bochert mineral spring. In De Soto are Mount St Clement's College (Roman Catholic, 1900), a theological seminary of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer under the charge of the Redemptorist Fathers, and a Young Men's Christian Association building. De Soto is in a good agricultural and fruit-growingregion, which produces Indian corn, apples, plums, pears and small fruit. Lead and zinc are mined in the vicinity and shipped from the city in considerable quantities; and among the city's manufactures are shoes, flour and agricultural implements. The municipality owns the water-works, the water supply of-which is furnished by artesian wells. De Soto was laid out in 1855 and was incorporated in 1869.
End of Article: PIERRE JEAN EDOUARD DESOR (1811-1882)
[back]
JULES PIERRE FRANCOIS STANISLAS DESNOYERS (1800-188...
[next]
EDWARD MARCUS DESPARD (1751-1803)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.