Online Encyclopedia

DEVA (mod. Chester)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V08, Page 120 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
DEVA (mod. Chester), a Roman legionary fortress in Britain on the Dee, It was occupied by Roman troops about A.D. 48 and held probably till the end of the Roman dominion. Its garrison was the Legio XX. Valeria Victrix, with which another legion (II. Adjutrix) was associated for a few years, about A.D. 75-85. It never developed, like many Roman legionary fortresses, into a town, but remained military throughout. Parts of its north and east walls (from Morgan's Mount to Peppergate) and numerous inscriptions remain to indicate its character and area. See F. J. Haverfield, Catalogue of the Grosvenor Museum, Chester (Chester, 1900), Introduction.
End of Article: DEVA (mod. Chester)
[back]
DEVA (Sanskrit " heavenly ")
[next]
DEVADATTA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.