Online Encyclopedia

DIACONICON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V08, Page 146 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
DIACONICON, in the Greek Church, the name given to a chamber on the south side of the central apse, where the sacred utensils, vessels, &c., of the church were kept. In the reign of Justin II. (565-574), owing to a change in the liturgy, the diaconicon and protheses were located in apses at the east end of the aisles. Before that time there was only one apse. In the churches in central Syria of slightly earlier date, the diaconicon is rectangular, the side apses at Kalat-Seman having been added at a later date.
End of Article: DIACONICON
[back]
DIABOLO
[next]
DIADOCHI (Gr. &aUxeo-Oat, to receive from another)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.