Online Encyclopedia

DIBRUGARH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V08, Page 176 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
DIBRUGARH, a town of British India, in the Lakhimpur district of eastern Bengal and Assam, of which it is the head-quarters, situated on the Dibru river about 4 M. above its confluence with the Brahmaputra. Pop. (Igor) 11,227. It is the terminus of steamer navigation on the Brahmaputra, and also of a railway running to important coal-mines and petroleum wells, which connects with the Assam-Bengal system. Large quantities of coal and tea are exported. There are a military cantonment, the headquarters of the volunteer corps known as the Assam Valley Light Horse; a government high, school, a training school for masters; and an aided school for girls. In 1900 a medical school for the province was established, out of a bequest leftby Brigade-Surgeon J. Berry-White, which is maintained by the government, to train hospital assistants for the tea gardens. The Williamson artisan school is entirely supported by an endowment.
End of Article: DIBRUGARH
[back]
DIBRA (Slay. Debra)
[next]
DICAEARCHUS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.