Online Encyclopedia

DILLINGEN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V08, Page 272 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
DILLINGEN, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Bavaria, on the left bank of the Danube, 25 M. N.E. from Ulm, on the railway to Ingolstadt. Pop. (1905) 6078. Its principal buildings are an old palace, formerly the residence of the bishops of Augsburg and now government offices, a royal gymnasium, a Latin school with a library of 75,000 volumes, seven churches (six Roman Catholic), two episcopal seminaries, a Capuchin monastery, a Franciscan convent and a deaf and dumb asylum. The university, founded in 1549, was abolished in 1804, being converted into a lyceum. The inhabitants are engaged in cattle-rearing, the cultivation of corn, hops and fruit, shipbuilding and the shipping trade, and the manufacture of cloth, paper and cutlery. In the vicinity is the Karolinen canal, which cuts off a bend in the Danube between Lauingen and Dillingen. In 1488 Dillingen became the residence of the bishops of Augsburg; was taken by the Swedes in 1632 and 1648, by the Austrians in 1702, and on the 17th of June 1800 by the French. In 1803 it passed to Bavaria.
End of Article: DILLINGEN
[back]
JULIEN DILLENS (1849-1904)
[next]
CHRISTIAN FRIEDRICH AUGUST DILLMANN (1823-1894)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.