Online Encyclopedia

DJAKOVO (sometimes written Djakovar, ...

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V08, Page 348 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
DJAKOVO (sometimes written Djakovar, Hungarian Diakovdr), a city of Croatia-Slavonia, Hungary; in the county of Virovitica, loo m. E. by S. of Agram. Pop. (1900) 6824. Djakovo is a Roman Catholic episcopal see, whose occupant bears the title " Bishop of Bosnia, Slavonia and Sirmium." During the life of Bishop Strossmayer (1815–1905) it was one of the chief centres of religious and political activity among the Croats. The cathedral, a vast basilica built of brick and white stone, with a central dome and two lofty spires above the north entrance, was founded in 1866 and consecrated in 1882. Its style is Romanesque, chosen by Strossmayer as symbolical of the position of his country midway between east and west. The interior is magnificently decorated with mosaics, mural paintings and statuary, chiefly the work of local artists. Other noteworthy buildings are the nunnery, ecclesiastical seminary and episcopal palace. Djakovo has a thriving trade in agricultural produce. Many Roman remains have been discovered in the neighbourhood, but the earliest mention of the city is in 1244, when Bela IV. of Hungary confirmed the title-deeds of its owners, the bishops of Bosnia. For a full description of the cathedral, in Serbo-Croatian and French, see the finely illustrated folio Stolna Crkva u Djakovu, published by the South Slavonic Academy (Agram, 1900).
End of Article: DJAKOVO (sometimes written Djakovar, Hungarian Diakovdr)
[back]
DIZFUL
[next]
DLS TED MO OQSTR

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.