Online Encyclopedia

DOLGELLEY (Dolgellau, dale of hazels)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V08, Page 388 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
DOLGELLEY (Dolgellau, dale of hazels), a market town and the county town of Merionethshire, North Wales, situated on the streams Wnion and Aran at the north base of Cader Idris, on the Cambrian and Great Western railways, 232 M. from London. Pop. of urban district (1901) 2437. It consists of small squares and narrow streets, with a free grammar school (1665), market hall, assize hall, county gaol, &c. The so-called parliament house (1404) of Owen Glendower's members has been demolished. There is some trade in coarse flannel and tweed. Glendower'streaty with Charles of France (Owinus D.G. princeps Walliae.. . Datum aped Dolguelli . . . ) was dated here. The families of county rank in the neighbourhood include those of Nannau, Hengwrt (the famous Hengwrt Welsh MSS. are at Peniarth), Caerynwch, Fronwnion, Bron-y-gadair, Brynygwin, Brynadda, Abergwynnant, Garthangharad. The county family, Vaughan, claims descent from Rodric Fawr, king of North Wales, Glendower's kinsman and enemy lived at Nannau. Scott (Marmion, vi. canto, note) refers to the demon oak at Nannau in 1813. Among neighbouring hills are Moel Offrwm (or Orthrwm—of sacrifice or of oppression) and Moel Cynwch.
End of Article: DOLGELLEY (Dolgellau, dale of hazels)
[back]
ETIENNE DOLET (1509-1546)
[next]
COUNT VASJLY LUKICH DOLGOHUKI (1672–1739)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.