Online Encyclopedia

DOROHOI, or DOROGOI

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V08, Page 431 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
DOROHOI, or DOROGOI, the capital of the department of Dorohoi, Rumania; on the right bank of the river Jijia, which broadens into a lake on the north. Pop. (r goo) 12,701, more than half being Jews. The Russian frontier is about 30 M. E., the Austrian 20 M. W.; and there is railway communication with Botoshani and Jassy. Dorohoi is a market for the timber and farm produce of the north Moldavian highlands; merchants from the neighbouring states flock to its great fair, held on the 12th of June. There is a church built by Stephen the Great (1458–1504).
End of Article: DOROHOI, or DOROGOI
[back]
DORNOCH
[next]
DOROTHEUS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.